James T. Jackson
Mr. Jackson, Partner and head of the firm’s Litigation Department, practices primarily in the areas of business, corporate, real estate, finance and employment law litigation and administrative claims. Formerly, he was a partner with Cummins & White, LLP, a sole practitioner, General Counsel to Imperial Western Products, Inc., a Senior Consultant for Kenneth Leventhal & Company, and an Auditor for the County of Orange.
Mr. Jackson’s litigation practice includes defending employers in employment matters, private and commercial real estate, environmental litigation, shareholder and director liability disputes, complex contract disputes, class actions, and unlawful business practices.
Mr. Jackson is a member of the State Bar of California, the American Bar Association, the Orange County Bar Association, and the California Board of Accountancy. He is admitted to practice in the United States District Court and the United States Tax Court. Mr. Jackson served for twenty-two years in the California Air National Guard and was activated for Operation Desert Storm. He is currently a retired major, last serving as a Director of Personnel. He has taught at Saddleback Community College and for Conviser, Duffy & Miller CPA Review Course in the areas of law and auditing and was an Adjunct Professor at Western State College of Law where he taught Taxation of Business Entities.
Mr. Jackson attended California State University, Long Beach where he earned his B.S. in Accounting in 1982. He was licensed as a Certified Public Accountant in 1988. He earned his J.D. from Western State University, College of Law in 1988. Mr. Jackson was born in San Bernardino, California. He and his family reside in Irvine, California.
- Successfully mediated settlement to the satisfaction of Aerospace client, claims of sexual harassment, hostile work environment and wrongful termination, for 11% of initial demand, substantially less than cost of defense.
- Successfully mediated settlement, pre-discovery, to satisfaction of Technology client, claim for wrongful termination, for 11% of initial demand (substantially less than 6 figures) and considerably less than cost of defense, including repurchase of company stock owned by terminated employee.
- Successfully mediated to client’s satisfaction, settlement of wrongful termination claim for 10% of initial demand (substantially less than 6 figures) and considerably less than cost of defense, including waiver of alleged vested ownership in LLC.
- Successfully mediated to client’s satisfaction, settlement of sexual harassment and hostile work environment claim, on behalf named individual executive, for 5% of initial demand (less than 6 figures), and substantially less than cost of defense.
- 12 – 0 Jury defense verdict on wage and hour claim by outside salesperson.
- Successfully negotiated settlement of wage and hour claim for Contractor client, pre-litigation, for 6% of initial demand, and avoiding cost of litigation.
- Successfully negotiated settlement of wrongful termination claims on behalf of terminated executives. ($2.2 million).
- Successfully negotiated settlement of sexual harassment (exposure) and constructive termination claims, with admitted liability, for 7% of initial demand (less than six figures), and avoided cost of litigation.
- Obtained pre-discovery dismissal of accountant client from action for fraud and breach of contract in real estate transaction.
- Successfully enforced via pre-discovery settlement, $8.3 million land purchase agreement by private school client, against school district.
- Successfully negotiated settlement of wrongful termination and wage and hour claims against Trucking client, pre-discovery and for minimal amount, saving considerably on litigation costs.
- Successfully settled, for $5,000, claim of discrimination based on medical condition and for violation of CFRA, after deposing plaintiff’s expert, resulting in considerable savings for cost of litigation.
- 10 – 2 jury defense verdict for Auto Finance client, on claims for breach of contract under the Automobile Sales Finance Act, unfair collection practices, fraud, conversion, and emotional distress.
- Obtained verdict for Auto Finance client, court trial, for breach of contract by dealer for failure to pay on loans purchased by client, including award of attorneys fees and costs.
- 11 -1 jury defense verdict for Engineering firm client, on breach of contract re: shareholder buyout and promissory note, and obtained award of attorneys fees and costs.
- Successful defense, via binding arbitration, of $1+ million claim for commission on purchase of automobile dealership, for dealership client, including attorneys’ fees and costs.
- Obtained, pre-motion for summary judgment dismissal of mesothelioma claim against Aerospace client.
- Successful settlement, pre-discovery, of action against major print news agency by Furniture Retail client, for breach of contract on print ads and cross-complaint for breach of contract, including waiver of all amounts due on past ads and one year of free advertising.
- Successful defense, court trial, of claims against shareholder/employee for breach of fiduciary duties, trademark and patient infringement, unfair competition and fraud.
- Successful defense of multi-million dollar toxic waste dumping case, on behalf of trucking client..
- Succeeded in getting provisional director appointed and negotiated settlement of shareholder derivative suit on behalf of shareholder/ employee, resulting in buyout of client at favorable price, and avoiding considerable cost of litigation.
- Succeeded in getting provisional director appointed, and negotiated shareholder/ employee buyout to client’s satisfaction, avoiding threatened shareholder derivative suit on claims of fraud, breach of fiduciary duties, mis-management.
- Drafted successful respondent’s brief (Appeal denied) in appeal of $1.3 million jury verdict for lost profits of medical doctor against landlord.